Since August, Miami University has subscribed to InfoEd’s SPIN Global Suite, a database of sponsored funding opportunities. This is the first in a series of posts designed to help Miami University faculty, staff, and students learn to use SPIN to find potential sources of funding for their research, scholarly, and creative projects.
All Miami University faculty, staff, and students have access to SPIN while on campus (or connected to Miami’s VPN). Anyone accessing SPIN from a Miami IP address can run searches without creating a profile and signing in.
Creating a Profile
While a profile is not necessary to search the SPIN database, there are some advantages to creating a profile. Users with profiles can:
- Access SPIN from off campus by signing in.
- Save searches so they can run them again with just a few clicks.
- Elect to receive automated emails (known as SMARTS Funding Alerts) that let them know about new or revised opportunities that match their established search criteria .
- Bookmark funding opportunities so that their SPIN records can be accessed quickly.
To request a profile, follow these steps:
- While in SPIN, click on Sign In in the upper right corner.
- On the “Login” screen, click on Need to create a new profile? in the lower right corner of the grey box.
- On the “Create Profile” page, enter your first name, your last name, your @MiamiOH.edu email address, and a username. The choice of a username is up to you — it does not need to be the same as your Miami 6+2 unique ID.
- Click the Save button in the upper right.
- You will receive an automated email letting you know that your profile has been submitted for approval by OARS. We generally approve profiles within 24 hours for requests submitted Sunday through Thursday. Requests submitted on Friday or Saturday or adjacent to a University holiday may not be approved until the next business day. Please be aware that we will approve only profiles that have an @MiamiOH.edu email address.
- Once your profile request has been approved, you will receive another automated email with directions for activating your profile.
Logging into SPIN
Once your account has been activated, you can sign in to SPIN by:
- Clicking on Sign In in the upper right of the SPIN homepage.
- Entering your login ID (the username you established when you requested a profile) and password (which you created during the activation process).
- If you forget your ID or password, click on Sign In Help in the lower left corner of the grey box.
In the next SPIN post, we’ll show you how to conduct searches.