The 25th annual Miami University Undergraduate Research Forum will be held Tuesday, April 23 and Wednesday, April 24, in Shriver Center. All are welcome to visit the forum, which has been expanded to two days in celebration of the 25th anniversary. For a quarter of a century, this event has showcased the creative and scholarly activities of undergraduates who engaged in research over the course of each academic year.
Tuesday, April 23
A plenary session will be held from 9:15 to 10:00am in Shriver Center’s John E. Dolibois Room C. The plenary will be followed by nine themed panel discussions:
- Session I: 10:15-11:15am
- Integrating Experiential Learning in the Curriculum (Shriver Center, Dolibois A)
- Graduate Students as Undergraduate Research Mentors (Shriver Center, Dolibois B)
- Session II: 11:45am-12:45pm
- What I Did Last Summer (Shriver Center, Dolibois A)
- First Year Research Experience – FYRE (Shriver Center, Dolibois B)
- Undergraduate Research in the Social Sciences (Shriver Center, Dolibois C)
- Undergraduate Research and Industry Jobs (Kreger Hall 222)
- Session III: 1:15-2:15pm
- Solving Critical Issues in Education, Health, and Society (Shriver Center, Dolibois A)
- Session IV: 3:15-4:15pm
- Undergraduate Research in the Humanities I (Shriver Center, Dolibois A)
- Undergraduate Research in the Humanities II (Shriver Center, Dolibois B)
- Session V: 4:25-5:25pm
- Global Health (Kreger Hall 319)
A Centers and Research Support Showcase will take place from 1:00 to 4:00pm Shriver Center’s Dolibois B. Participating organizations include:
- Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
- Ecology Research Center
- Center for Advanced Microscopy and Imaging
- Center for American and World Cultures
- Center for Analytics and Data Science
- Center for Assistive Technology (MU CAT)
- Center for Aquatic and Watershed Sciences
- Center for Career Exploration and Succcess
- Center for Neuroscience and Behavior
- Center for School-Based Mental Health Programs
- Center for structural Biology and Metabonomics
- Center for Visual Sciences
- Geospatial Analysis Center
- Global Health Research Innovation Center
- Hefner Museum of Natural History
- Howe Center for Writing Excellence
- Institute for the Environment and Sustainability
- Miami Art Museum
- Mindfulness and Contemplative Inquiry Center
- Myaamia Center
- Rinella Learning Center
- University Libraries
Wednesday, April 24
Three poster sessions will be held, as follows:
- Session A: 9:30–11:00am
- Session B: 1:30–3:00pm
- Session C: 3:30–5:00pm
E-posters and 10-minute talks will be presented at 9:00am, 10:30am, 1:30pm, and 3:00pm.
Programs with times and specific locations of all presentations will be available at the event.
All Miami students are invited to present at the annual forum. This year more than 300 research projects will be presented by more than 500 students. Presentations range from faculty-mentored independent study research to large group community projects and course-related projects.
More than 2,000 Miami undergraduates work with professors on funded research each year.
The forum is sponsored by the Graduate School, OARS, the Office of Research for Undergraduates (ORU) and the offices of the president and the provost.
Updated 04/16/2019 to include accurate ending times for poster sessions on April 24.
Written by Susan Meikle, Miami University News & Communications and updated for 2019. Originally appeared as a top story on Miami University’s News and Events website.
Photos by Scott Kissell, Miami University Photo Services.